03 June 2016

Smashbox Photo Matte Eye Palette Swatches and Brief Review

I jumped when I heard about this and headed to the nearest Mecca Maxima to try them out. Apparently it's got both warm and cool tones and they're all matte so I was really keen. 

Description of product on the Mecca website:

"A definitive eye palette with shadows that can all be used as a liner, shadow or brow definer. This palette includes both warm and cool tones as well as light and dark shades that can be used wet (for greater colour payoff) or dry for a range of looks. Includes a double-ended shadow/brow brush and how-to guide to get you started."

It doesn't say on the official Smashbox website that it promises warm and cool tones, so that can be a bit misleading.  



14 Shade Swatches of Smashbox Photo Matte Eye Palette #SHAPEMATTERS
Top two light shades are the two base shades in the middle
Middle row - 6 shades on the left
Bottom row - 6 shades on the right 


I was greeted by this sales girl at Mecca who sized me up when I asked her about it. I was dressed in my baggy jumper which I wore to sleep for the past week because I couldn't give af. I had no makeup on, my hair was greasy and I was actually due for a shower. I'm not sorry you have to deal with my stench, bitch. Joke's on you. HA. Some of them can be bitchy af. Some of them real nice though. 

Back to the reason why I was at Mecca. It was SO disappointing. It doesn't live up to its promises. Firstly it's not at all warm toned. It's more like a neutral to neutral cool tone and the darker brown shades just look really ashy on my Asian NC25 - NC30 skin tone, not unlike the Naked 2 Basics palette that I regretted getting. The black eyeshadow has micro sparkles in it. Like wtf. 

Pigmentation is really lacking and I had to do about three to four swipes for the swatches on my arm. And still, they don't show up that well. It does say that you can intensify the colours by using them wet. I can't say if it works. I should probably update this once I have. Though the lack of warm brown tones have already put me off. It's limited edition but I guess you have to see it in person to decide whether it's worth paying the AU$78 for. Needless to say I didn't get this product and some of the sales girls' attitudes are enough to bounce you back to reality and remind you that you and your hard-earned cash are worth a better treatment. 

To be fair, I had quite a high expectation for this palette as I've always been fond of Smashbox products. I bought their Art. Love. Color. Palettes from their Holiday 2015 collection during Christmas and have been very impressed with the pigmentation and buttery texture of the eyeshadows. Each palette is made up of two of their popular Photo Op Eyeshadow Trios and a complementing blush shade. Very ingenious! Two of the palettes have warm toned browns and warm toned blushes and I love them. I don't have them with me at the moment, so no swatches unfortunately!  


Art. Love. Color. Palettes Holiday 2015


Side note:
I've been struggling to find a nice warm brown eye palette that would really complement Asian skin tones like the Bobbi Brown Rich Chocolate Eye Palette. It's my all time favourite and I can't rave enough about it. I basically use its pigmentation and shade as a benchmark for all other shadows. I wouldn't say it's very buttery but I love the fact that it's long lasting. It has fulfilled my wishes but sadly it's limited edition and I don't wanna hit pan on that. 

There is one too many matte brown eyeshadow palettes out there but none of them are warm enough for my liking and give me that dreaded ashy look. I've heard great things about the Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye palette so I might try to get my hands on that. Do let me know if there's something out there that fits what I'm looking for! Hope you're having fun with your eyeshadows!

Cheers, 

Polkadotpaw


2 comments:

  1. i never like Smashbox products. i think ppl reviews abt their products got paid to do so. Everytime I tried them on it's totally a fail. Don't like it. I'm swear on Urban decay and tarte eyes shadow, i had some matte eyes shadow from them very pigmented and blend beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smashbox eyeshadow trios are pretty pigmented and buttery. I used to get loads of their lip glosses too. I feel like tarte leans for more natural looks and some of their products can lack a bit of pigmentation. There's pros and cons in every brand! :)

    ReplyDelete